Renaming local files doesn't rename files on FlickR?

Aug 26, 2009 at 4:06 AM

Hey there.

Pardon if this was discussed already, but I can't find a way to rename files on FlickR after I have renamed the local files? If I use "Match by date taken" as method, it says "Nothing to do" and if I use any of the other two methods, it wants to delete the file on FlickR and upload the renamed file.

All I want to do is for the software to realize it's the same file, and just rename it on FlickR. That way I can upload "Oslo - 001" to "Oslo - 999" and have them on FlickR while I slowly give the pictures more meaningful titles like "Oslo - Park - Flower" etc., and the filenames will be sync'ed on FlickR as I go along.

Otherwise thanks for a great piece of software!

Coordinator
Aug 26, 2009 at 9:01 AM

The behaviour you describe it's correct. Basically FlickrSync detects if the file has been changed by using the modified date and detects if the file is the same or not according to the method. As you say, if you match by date taken and don't modify the file, it will assume it's still the same file and does nothing. If you rename it and the match by title/file name then he doesn't understand it's the same file and deletes the old one to upload again.
The solution for your problem is the following: Select "Match by date taken", rename the files and then "touch" the files updating the "date modified". There are some free tools (search for "touch") that do just this (update the modified date of all files). This way FlickrSync will know it's modified and since the match is by date taken, it will know it's the same file and just replace it. It will still upload the image (there's no method currently to distinguish metadata changes from image changes) but it will not loose all your other Flickrsync information (ex: comments from other users).