Flickrsync launches IE every 1-2 mins.

May 4, 2014 at 2:56 AM
Edited May 4, 2014 at 2:58 AM
Using windows 7 - As soon as I start sync - Flickrsync launches IE - blank page every 1-2 mins.

Tried to uninstall and reinstall app - no help.

Any suggestions?
Developer
May 4, 2014 at 10:16 AM

Bizarre.

Have you tried uninstalling and reinstalling it?

Also delete the preferences folder for Flickrsync in your Windows user folder - if you don't know what this means I can explain; please don't randomly delete folders!

Sent from phone.

May 4, 2014 at 6:31 PM
Yes uninstalled and reinstalled multiple times - no use. Before it used to open chrome (blank new tab) once but now it started opening blank ie window every 1 mins.

I cannot find the preference folder under users/my login - could you please tell me where to find this pref folder.

Thanks
Developer
May 4, 2014 at 7:58 PM

Will I'm not sure deleting profile folder well fix this and I'm afraid I won't be able to look into this for the next few days but if you:

1. Google how to enable viewing of hidden files in Windows then follow the steps.
2. Use the search field (top right) of your file explorer to search for the following terms (search for each term on its own): Flickrsync, paulo, gaeda
3. Delete any folder named Flickrsync or Paulo Gaeda (if you're not sure about one then check back here).
4. Reinstall Flickrsync and report back here the outcome (please).

Thanks

Sent from phone.

Developer
May 5, 2014 at 7:28 PM

You can also try deleting C:\Users\<user name>\AppData\Local\FlickrNet

It sounds like the issue you might be having is an authentication issue with your Flickr account.

Sent from tablet.

Yes uninstalled and reinstalled multiple times - no use. Before it used to open chrome (blank new tab) once but now it started opening blank ie window every 1 mins.

I cannot find the preference folder under users/my login - could you please tell me where to find this pref folder.

Thanks

Read the full discussion online.

To add a post to this discussion, reply to this email ([email removed])

To start a new discussion for this project, email [email removed]

You are receiving this email because you subscribed to this discussion on CodePlex. You can unsubscribe or change your settings on codePlex.com.

Please note: Images and attachments will be removed from emails. Any posts to this discussion will also be available online at codeplex.com

May 7, 2014 at 2:50 AM
Tried everything you suggested But no luck - its still launching IE- blank page for every 2 image upload.
unistalled flickrsync
Deleted C:\Users\<user name>\AppData\Local\FlickrNet
searched for folder names and deleted - didnt find anything for paulo and gaeda

let me know if i can get you any debug/log information - if yes tell me the steps to get log details

Thanks
Developer
May 7, 2014 at 7:02 AM

I'm really sorry but unfortunately we seem to have reached the limit of the help I can give. It's been ages since I've touched the code as I've had to focus on work that pays since I left university and stopped working the project.

There is one final thing you can try but I can't see how it will fix this - try installing the development version I released - instructions here: flickrsync.codeplex.com/discussions/245525

Sent from phone.

Jun 12, 2014 at 10:47 AM
Hi,
I have the same problem on my windows 7 64 bits.
Did you found a solution,
Did you tried the devellopment version and if yes, dit it fix the issue ?
It's very annoying cause it take focus above others applications.(My mediacenter lose focus each time..).

Thanks
Coordinator
Jul 13, 2014 at 5:20 PM
Hello. Sorry for the delay but hopefully this problem is now solved.
Jul 22, 2014 at 6:34 PM
I can confirm the same behaviour - launch of empty IE every couple of minutes on my Win7 x64 with the latest version
Coordinator
Jul 23, 2014 at 6:28 AM
Can you please try clearing your browser cache to see if this is caused by some cached page? The issue should be solved.
Jul 29, 2014 at 4:03 PM
Hi,
I have similar problem when FlickrSync is transferring photos to portal.
On my Windows 8.1 Pro x64 Update 1 (English language, Polish regional settings and keyboard) + all hotfixes, every few minutes I get window with information:

"No apps are installed to open this type of link (about)
Look for an app in the Store"

This window is showed by OpenWith.exe Windows application.
After short investigation with Sysinternals Process Monitor I see that after few thread creation by FlickrSync.exe, svchost.exe creates process OpenWith.exe with command line C:\Windows\system32\OpenWith.exe –Embedding
I tried to clear cache of IE11, Firefox 31 and Chrome 36, but this not help.
I checked that IE11 is default browser and is associate with all protocols and web files.

But this window is very annoying.
I am pretty sure that this windows shows only when FlickrSync is transferring photos to portal.
I guess that this application uses IE engine I try to use some protocol but I don’t have any idea what “about” protocol could be.
Jul 30, 2014 at 3:20 PM
Hello,
I have uninstalled my previous version of Flickrsync, installed the July 0.9 Version, and still have the same problem than the first user in this discussion:
Using windows 7 - As soon as I start sync - Flickrsync launches IE blank page every 1-2 mins.
It also happens after clearing my IE Cache as suggested above.
Is there a way to solve this? Can we help?
Thanks anyway for this great app.
Coordinator
Aug 2, 2014 at 7:26 AM
I'm sorry. You are right - the fix was not applied properly.
If you try again - clean your browser cache and then use flickrsync, you should not have this problem anymore.
You don't need to reinstall flickrsync again (however, a new release will be launched soon to fix another issue around delete)
Aug 2, 2014 at 12:44 PM
Thank you for the quick reply.
Yes, it seems to work now. No more IE windows opening. (How was it fixed without releasing a new version?! Magic to me).
Best regards!
Jan 17, 2015 at 4:24 PM
Hi,
I have installed the latest version of Flickrsync, 0.9.2.0 Version, and still have the same problem than the first user in this discussion:
Using windows 7 64Bit - As soon as I start sync - Flickrsync launches IE blank page every 1-2 mins.
I did try all the tricks mentioned above but I had no luck.
I did noticed that the problem was solved in the previous version but it seams that appeared again in the current version.
It will be really great if it can fixed in this version too.

Thanks anyway for all the work you put in this app.
Mar 20, 2015 at 5:17 PM
Same issue. Win7 64bit, Flicrsync 0.9.2.0. I tried to re-install Flickrsync without success.
Mar 21, 2015 at 9:17 AM
Win7 64 using Flickrsync 0.9.2.0. IE keeps popping out during sync.
Win8.1 using Flickrsync 0.9.2.0. Windows pop up a message saying, "No apps are installed to open this type of link (about). Look for an app in the Store"
Does the problem involve with "about"?
The previous July 2014 version didn't have this problem.
Mar 22, 2015 at 10:26 AM
I also have the same problem with Windows 8.1. Pop up is shown with a message saying, "No apps are installed to open this type of link (about). Look for an app in the Store"
Do you have any solutions?